Carver County - Eden Prairie Memorial Day events
Memorial Day Ceremony - Waconia May 29, 2023 at 10:45 AM
Memorial Day Ceremony - Chanhassen May 29, 2023 at 12:00 PM
Getty Images Pro via Canva
Did you know...
- The Grand Army of the Republic began decorating the graves of fallen service members with flowers in May 1868, which was then known as "Decoration Day."
- In 1971 Congress declared Memorial Day a national holiday, to be observed on the last Monday in May, moving it from the static date of May 30, in order to create a 3-day weekend.
- On the Thursday before Memorial Day, small American flags are placed at each of the 400,000+ gravestones at Arlington National Cemetery and other cemeteries nationwide.
- To encourage more people to observe Memorial Day, Congress passed the National Moment of Remembrance Act in 2000, which asks people to stop what they are doing at 3 p.m. local time and observe a minute of silence to honor those who lost their lives defending the country.
- On Memorial Day, the flag should first be raised to the top of the staff, then slowly lowered to half-staff, until noon when it should be raised to the top of the staff for the rest of the day.
- Red poppies are considered the Memorial Day flower. It's referenced in the poem "In Flanders Fields." and refers to the fields of poppies growing among soldiers' graves during WWI.